Wednesday, August 2, 2017

How to Properly Pack Your Trailer for a Big Move

How to Properly Pack Your Trailer for a Big Move

Whether you’re moving across the country or helping your children with the move back to school, it’s important to pack your trailer the right way. The last thing you want to do is wait until the last minute and randomly throw items into your trailer on the day of your departure.

By taking the time to plan and pack effectively, you’ll not only make the moving process easier, but you can save on gas, and make your trailer the much easier to drive.

Below we highlight a process you can use to effectively pack your trailer before a big move.

Get Your Supplies First

Proper packing begins with sourcing the right supplies for the job. This includes things like tape, moving boxes, packing peanuts or old newspaper, or any other sources of padding.

Chances are you’ll have most of these items lying around your garage, or can be found with a quick trip to your local hardware store. The last thing you want to do is throw all of your loose items into the back of your trailer without storing them in protective boxes.

Label Everything Beforehand

Labeling all of your boxes can be a hassle, but it’s well worth the extra effort. Beyond labeling each box in accordance with the room the items are in, it can also be helpful to label by weight.

This will help with packing, as you’ll know where to place each box in your trailer to get the correct weight distribution. Plus, having each of your boxes labeled will make the unloading process that much easier and stress-free.

Get the Proper Weight Distribution

One of the most important aspects of packing your trailer is getting the weight distribution right. In order to make it easier to steer and control your trailer, you’ll want to load 60 percent of the weight towards the front of the trailer (closest to your vehicle), with the remaining 40 percent in the rest of the trailer.

You’ll also want to place the heaviest items on the bottom of the trailer, so they don’t crush any lighter or more fragile items.

Packing this way will take more time, but it will make transportation much easier, while you keep your items as safe as possible.

Pack Your Trailer Tightly

Think of packing your trailer like completing a puzzle. You’ll want to fill all of the empty spaces in your trailer as tight as possible, so items don’t move around during your trip. If you do have empty space, then you’ll want to make sure that is any items do shift, they won’t break or become damaged.

Secure the Load

Once all of your boxes and items are tightly packed in your trailer you’ll want to secure the load with tie downs. Also keep in mind that your tie-downs may start to loosen during a long-trip, so you’ll want to make stops to ensure they’re tight.


If you’ve followed the steps above, then you should have a perfectly packed trailer that’s ready for a long trip. The tips above will help with both the transportation process and make unpacking a lot easier. If you’re still looking for the perfect trailer to help with your big move, then get in touch with our team today.

No comments:

Post a Comment